Monday, April 16, 2007

Too Many Jeans

How many pairs of jeans do you own? Last week I was listening to a Christian radio station on my way home and the DJs were discussing that the average woman in the U.S.A. owns 20 to 25 pairs of jeans. So they were taking calls from listeners who were willing to tell how many pairs of jeans they owned. I wasn't able to listen very long, but a lot of the people who called in owned 25 or more pair of jeans! And that doesn't include capris, dress slacks or other types of pants.

In an interesting juxtaposition, I heard a story on NPR earlier in the day about widows in India. One widow mentioned that she cannot buy any cloths. Her family takes turns buying her one sari each year.

I own six pairs of jeans: two pair that are old and have holes in the knees, two pair that are too big (kept from when I was had post-pregnancy weight), one pair that is white and one pair that I actually wear. How sad that I have five pairs of jeans sitting in my dresser that I rarely wear while other people can't even afford to buy one outfit each year.

No comments: