Friday, April 20, 2007

Kindergarten

Well, it's almost time for Josiah to start kindergarten. I attended a Kindergarten Roundup meeting for parents this week and received a stack of flyers, handouts and packets of information about what to expect and how to get involved with PTA.

I'm sure that Josiah is ready for Kindergarten. He can read and write. He has counted to at least 200, can do basic addition and subtraction and knows his shapes and colors. He loves preschool and enjoys playing with other kids. Yep, he's ready.

I'm just not sure if I'm ready. One mother commented on how happy I must be getting the first kid off to school so that I would have more time to do other things. But, you know, that's not what I look forward to. I am excited for him to learn new things and make new friends, but I fell a little sad transitioning into a time when he will spend so much time at school. He's fun to be around (most of the time) and I love playing with him, laughing with him and watching him grow and learn. I know that won't all go away once he starts school, but it still feels like a small loss. And I suspect that the next 13 years will fly by and that he will be heading off for college all too soon.

It's almost time for Josiah to start Kindergarten. I can't believe how quickly the last five years have flown by. I have the whole summer to prepare myself, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up crying after I drop him off for his first day of school.

No comments: